23.12.601 ADOPTION OF THE INTERNATIONAL FIRE CODE (2012 EDITION)
(1) The FPIS adopts and incorporates by reference the International Fire Code 2012 Edition (2012 IFC) with the additions and amendments enumerated in this subchapter. Copies of the IFC and related materials may be obtained from the International Code Council, 4051 West Flossmoor Road, Country Club Hills, IL 60478-5795.
(2) If there is any conflict between the IFC and the Montana Code Annotated, the provisions of the Montana Code Annotated control.
(3) This rule establishes a minimum fire protection code to be used in conjunction with the building code. Nothing in this rule prohibits any local government unit from adopting those portions of the IFC that are not adopted by the FPIS or standards which are more restrictive than the IFC.
(4) The building code adopted by the Building Codes Bureau of the Department of Labor and Industry controls design and construction in Montana. If there is any conflict between the construction standards in the IFC and construction standards set forth in the building code, the provisions of the building code control.
(a) This code shall apply to new construction as required in the building code and existing conditions. Existing buildings shall be maintained in accordance with the building code in effect at the time of construction. However, where existing conditions or buildings post an imminent hazard or risk to public health and safety and are not, therefore, within the purview of the building code, the FPIS may take corrective action pursuant to the provisions of 50-61-101, et seq., MCA, and 50-62-101, et seq., MCA.
(5) The following IFC sections are modified as shown:
(a) 104.2 Application and permits is not adopted.
(b) 105 Permits is not adopted.
(c) The Permit sections of the following chapters are not adopted: 3, 5, 6, 9, 11-13, 20-35, and 50-67.
(d) 108 Board of Appeals is not adopted.
(e) 113 Fees is not adopted.
(f) 202 General Definitions. FIRE DEPARTMENT - Governmental Fire agencies. Any fire department organized under Montana law under the jurisdiction of a city, county, state, fire district, or fire service area.
(g) 308.1.6 Open-flame devices is adopted, but deleting "except by a permit in accordance with Section 105.6 secured from the fire code official."
(h) 308.2 Permits required - is not adopted.
(i) 405.2 Delete section and replace with: "Frequency. Required emergency evacuation drills shall be held at the intervals specified in 20-1-402, MCA. There must be at least eight emergency evacuation/disaster drills held a year in a school. At least four of the drills must be fire exit drills. Drills must be held at different hours of the day or evening to avoid distinction between drills and actual disasters." In Table 405.2, delete the word "monthly" from the Frequency column, applicable to Group E, and replace with "20-1-402, MCA."
(j) 603.4 Portable unvented heaters is adopted, but the "Exceptions" are not adopted.
(k) 603.4.1 Prohibited locations - is not adopted.
(l) 903.6 Existing buildings - is not adopted.
(m) 906.1 Portable fire extinguishers - (1) Exception - is not adopted.
(n) 1008.1.9.4 Door operations. Adopted adding the sentence "Exit doors shall not be locked, chained, bolted, barred, latched, or otherwise rendered unusable. All locking devices shall be of an approved type."
(o) 2306.7.9 through 2306.7.9.2.4 Vapor-recovery and vapor-processing systems are not adopted.
(p) 3103.2 Approval required. Adopted, but deleting "a permit and."
(q) 5601.1.3 Fireworks - is not adopted.
(r) 5601.2.2 through 5601.2.4.2 are not adopted.
(s) 5606.5.2.1 Smokeless propellant - is not adopted. The maximum quantities, storage conditions, and fire-protection requirements for gunpowder and ammunition stored in a building shall be as follows: Smokeless powder and small arms primers or percussion caps shall be in accordance with 50-61-120 and 50-61-121, MCA.
(u) 5608 Fireworks Display - is not adopted. See Title 50, chapter 37, MCA.
(v) 5706.1 General - In paragraph numbered 1, delete "farms and."
(w) 5706.2 Delete "farms and" from the heading, and "on farms and rural areas and" from the paragraph.
(x) 3406.2.5.1(2) is not adopted.
(y) Appendix B - Fire Flows - is adopted.
(z) Appendix C - Hydrants - is adopted.
(aa) Appendix I - Fire Protection Systems Non-Compliant Conditions - is adopted.
History: 50-3-102, MCA; IMP, 50-3-103, MCA; NEW, 1996 MAR p. 439, Eff. 2/9/96; AMD, 1999 MAR p. 2860, Eff. 12/17/99; AMD, 2004 MAR p. 634, Eff. 3/26/04; AMD, 2005 MAR p. 260, Eff. 2/11/05; TRANS, from ARM 23.7.301, 2008 MAR p. 1467, Eff. 7/18/08; AMD, 2010 MAR p. 395, Eff. 2/12/10; AMD, 2013 MAR p. 1832, Eff. 7/26/13; AMD, 2013 MAR p. 2422, Eff. 12/27/13.