24.159.608 PLACEMENT OF AN OUT-OF-STATE NURSING STUDENT IN A MONTANA CLINICAL PRACTICE SETTING
(1) The placement of a student enrolled in an out-of-state pre-licensure program for clinical practice in a Montana facility must be approved by the Montana Board of Nursing or by its executive director.
(2) The request for placement of an out-of-state student in a Montana clinical practice setting must be submitted to the board in writing. The request must be signed by the director of the out-of-state nursing education program. The request for a clinical placement in Montana must include:
(a) documentation of an out-of-state program's unconditional board approval and accreditation by a national nursing accrediting agency approved by the U.S. Department of Education;
(b) name, address, and contact information of the student seeking placement in a Montana clinical practice setting;
(c) name and location of clinical practice setting where the out-of-state nursing education program seeks to place the student;
(d) name and contact information of the person employed at the Montana clinical practice setting who will serve as the primary liaison between the out-of-state nursing education program, the Montana board, and the Montana clinical facility;
(e) names, contact information, and educational credentials for Montana clinical preceptor(s) and out-of-state faculty member(s) who will participate in the student's clinical experience in Montana;
(f) detailed description of the preceptorship, including the specific practice area that will be the focus for the out-of-state student's clinical experience;
(g) explicit plan for out-of-state faculty supervision of the preceptor and out-of-state student in the Montana clinical practice setting;
(h) verification from relevant directors of Montana programs that placement of the out-of-state student in the identified Montana clinical practice setting will not displace a Montana nursing student;
(i) copy of the written agreement between the out-of-state program and the facility where the Montana clinical practice setting is located, which identifies preceptor(s), primary liaison, and out-of-state clinical faculty. The agreement must specify the responsibilities and delineate the functions of each entity in ensuring a quality educational experience for the out-of-state student; and
(j) any out-of-state faculty member who is involved in the direct care of a patient in Montana must hold an unencumbered Montana license.
(3) The clinical preceptors, working with the out-of-state nursing faculty and the student in the Montana clinical practice setting, must meet the qualifications outlined by ARM 24.159.665. The preceptor is responsible for ensuring that the out-of-state student complies with all Montana laws and rules related to nursing.
(4) Out-of-state faculty member(s) are responsible for ensuring safe, accessible, and appropriate preceptor supervision of the out-of-state student's Montana clinical practice experience.
(5) Montana board staff may conduct a site visit at the proposed clinical practice setting, either before or during the out-of-state student placement.