(1) When the holder of a Montana driver's license wants to change the full legal name on the department's driver record, the holder must make application for a name change and verify the legal change of full legal name by presenting one of the following documents:

(a) a certified copy of the applicant's marriage certificate from the issuing government jurisdiction;

(b) a certified copy of a decree or judgment granting a name change from a court of competent jurisdiction;

(c) a certified copy of a divorce decree or dissolution of marriage granted the applicant that specifies the change of name required; or

(d) a certified copy of a US department of justice, immigration and naturalization service, certificate of naturalization (forms N-550, N-570) issued to the applicant.

(2) An applicant may use the applicant's last name prior to marriage on the driver's license in place of the applicant's middle name.   A certified copy of the applicant's certificate of birth from a US or Canadian jurisdiction as specified in ARM 23.3.131 is acceptable as proof of that name.

(3) Upon payment of the proper fees, an applicant may also apply for a duplicate driver's license in the legally changed name.

History: Sec. 61-5-125, MCA; IMP, Sec. 61-5-111, 61-5-115, MCA; NEW, 2000 MAR p. 2524, Eff. 9/22/00.