24.201.501 EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS TO SIT FOR EXAM
(1) To qualify to sit for the Uniform CPA Exam as a Montana candidate the candidate must have:
(a) completed the following education from an accredited four-year institution at the time of applying to sit for the exam:
(i) at least 24 semester hours (36 quarter hours) of accounting courses above the introductory level, to include one course in each of the following:
(A) financial accounting;
(D) management accounting; and
(ii) at least 24 semester hours (36 quarter hours) in nonaccounting, general business courses. Examples of business courses include information systems, business law, finance, economics, marketing, ethics, organizational behavior, quantitative applications in business, and communication skills.
(2) Accreditation examinations or practical experience may not be used to fulfill any part of the academic requirement.
(3) An accredited school is one that is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business - International, or one of the following regional accrediting agencies:
(a) Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools;
(b) New England Association of Schools and Colleges;
(c) North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools;
(d) Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities;
(e) Southern Association of Schools and Colleges; or
(f) Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
(4) Any foreign-obtained education must be evaluated by NASBA International Evaluation Services and be determined equivalent to Montana's education requirements. That evaluation must be provided to CPAES.
(5) One quarter-hour of credit is equivalent to two-thirds of a semester-hour.
History: 37-1-131, 37-50-203, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-50-203, 37-50-302, 37-50-305, MCA; Eff. 12/31/72; AMD, Eff. 12/5/74; AMD, Eff. 1/4/75; AMD, 1980 MAR p. 2971, Eff. 11/29/80; TRANS, from Dept. of Prof. & Occup. Lic., Ch. 274, L. 1981, Eff. 7/1/81; AMD, 1984 MAR p. 961, Eff. 6/29/84; AMD, 1992 MAR p. 2136, Eff. 9/25/92; EMERG, AMD, 1996 MAR p. 2280, Eff. 8/23/96; AMD, 1997 MAR p. 540, Eff. 3/25/97; AMD, 1998 MAR p. 463, Eff. 2/13/98; TRANS, from Commerce, 2005 MAR p. 2668; AMD, 2009 MAR p. 9, Eff. 1/16/09; AMD, 2012 MAR p. 1363, Eff. 7/13/12; AMD, 2014 MAR p. 2849, Eff. 11/21/14; AMD, 2016 MAR p. 1016, Eff. 6/4/16.