18.6.246 POLITICAL SIGNS
(1) Signs promoting political candidates or issues shall be placed on private property only and cannot be placed without the permission of the property owner. Political signs must comply with sign standards found in 75-15-113, MCA, and ARM 18.6.231, unless otherwise specified in this rule.
(2) Political signs must not:
(a) be placed on or allow any portion to intrude in the public right-of-way or on public property; and
(b) be placed within 100 feet of any entrance to the building in which a polling place is located.
(3) Political signs will not be considered in determining the spacing required between conforming off-premises outdoor advertising signs.
(4) Political signs must be removed within 14 days following the applicable election. The department shall notify the landowner of illegal signs which are not removed within 14 days. The signs shall be removed by the department 24 hours after notification to the landowner. The department shall retain removed political signs for five working days after notification of removal before their destruction. The sign owner may retrieve the signs during this period.
(5) Signs that pose a traffic hazard may be removed by the department without prior notification to the sign owner.
(6) Political signs do not require permits and are not subject to permit fees.