24.225.511 CONTINUING EDUCATION
(1) Veterinarians are required to obtain a total of 20 continuing education (CE) hours prior to renewal on November 1 of even-numbered years. The 20 hours must be obtained during the 24-month period prior to renewal in even-numbered years.
(a) No more than ten of the 20 hours may be obtained through online courses.
(b) Practice management CE hours may not exceed 25 percent of the total hours required.
(2) Continuing education requirements will not apply until the licensees' first full year of licensure. Licensees licensed less than two years but more than one year are required to have ten CE hours prior to renewal.
(3) Licensees are responsible for selecting quality programs that focus on protecting the health, safety, and welfare of the public and contribute to veterinarians' professional knowledge and competence. Acceptable CE activities:
(a) directly relate to the scope of practice of veterinary medicine as defined in board statutes and rules;
(b) review existing concepts and techniques;
(c) convey information beyond the basic professional education;
(d) update knowledge on the practice and advances in veterinary medicine; and/or
(e) reinforce professional conduct or ethical obligations of the licensee.
(4) All licensees shall affirm an understanding of their recurring duty to comply with CE requirements as a part of annual license renewal.
(5) The board may randomly audit up to 50 percent of renewed licensees' CE hours.
(6) All CE must be documented to show proof of completion. The licensee is responsible for maintaining these records for one year following the renewal cycle reporting period and for making those records available upon board request. Documentation must include the following information:
(a) licensee name;
(b) course title and description of content;
(c) presenter or sponsor;
(d) course date(s); and
(e) number of CE hours earned.
(7) Licensees found to be in noncompliance with CE requirements may be subject to administrative suspension. Licensees may not apply CE hours used to complete delinquent CE requirements for the next education reporting period.
(8) Any CE hours required by disciplinary order do not apply toward the 20 hours that are required annually under this rule.
(9) A licensee may request a hardship exemption from CE requirements due to certified illness or undue hardship. Requests will be considered by the board.
History: 37-1-131, 37-1-319, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-1-306, 37-1-319, 37-1-321, MCA; NEW, Eff. 4/5/76; AMD, 1978 MAR p. 1332, Eff. 8/25/78; AMD, 1979 MAR p. 154, Eff. 2/16/79; AMD, 1980 MAR p. 1189, Eff. 4/11/80; TRANS, from Dept. of Prof. & Occup. Lic., Ch. 274, L. 1981, Eff. 7/1/81; AMD, 1985 MAR p. 775, Eff. 6/28/85; AMD, 1989 MAR p. 1195, Eff. 8/18/89; AMD, 1991 MAR p. 2030, Eff. 11/1/91; AMD, 1996 MAR p. 2579, Eff. 10/4/96; AMD, 1999 MAR p. 411, Eff. 3/12/99; AMD, 2003 MAR p. 1288, Eff. 6/27/03; TRANS, from Commerce, 2005 MAR p. 323; AMD, 2006 MAR p. 1583, Eff. 7/1/06; AMD, 2008 MAR p. 633, Eff. 4/11/08; AMD, 2009 MAR p. 2483, Eff. 12/25/09; AMD, 2014 MAR p. 1092, Eff. 5/23/14; AMD, 2018 MAR p. 1281, Eff. 7/7/18.