17.50.1801 PURPOSE AND APPLICABILITY
(1) The rules in this subchapter are adopted by the department under Title 75, chapter 10, part 2, MCA. The purpose of this subchapter is to establish requirements for the management of TENORM waste at TENORM waste management systems.
(2) This subchapter applies to each applicant, owner, operator, or licensee of a TENORM waste management system that accepts, stores, treats, recycles, recovers, disposes, or transports TENORM waste with a concentration of radium-226 (Ra-226) plus radium-228 (Ra-228), excluding background radiation, equal to or greater than 5.0 picocuries per gram (pCi/g). Wherever there is a requirement imposed on an owner or operator in this subchapter, the licensee also shall comply with that requirement.
(3) The owner or operator of an existing waste management system licensed to accept TENORM waste shall comply with these rules by 12 months after June 27, 2020.
(4) The owner or operator of a TENORM waste management system shall also comply with the requirements for a Class II solid waste management system in ARM Title 17, chapter 50, subchapters 4, 5, 10, 11, 12 ,13, and 14, except for ARM 17.50.1109 and 17.50.1404(2)(a).
(5) A TENORM waste management system may not accept source material and byproduct material as defined in 42 USC § 2014.
(6) This subchapter does not relieve any owner or operator of the obligation to comply with other applicable federal, state, or local requirements.
(7) The department incorporates by reference "Requirements for the Characterization of TENORM Wastes," Montana DEQ – Solid Waste Program (Revised June 2020). Copies of that document are available for public inspection at the Department of Environmental Quality, 1520 E. 6th Ave., P.O. Box 200901, Helena, MT 59620-0901, or by contacting the department at (406) 444-5300.