24.159.1464 PRESCRIBING PRACTICES
(1) Prescriptions must comply with all applicable state and federal laws.
(2) All written prescriptions must include the following information:
(a) name, title, address, and phone number of the APRN who is prescribing;
(b) name of client;
(c) date of prescription;
(d) the full name of the drug, dosage, route, amount to be dispensed, and directions for its use;
(e) number of refills;
(f) signature of the prescriber on written prescriptions; and
(g) Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) number of the prescriber on all scheduled drugs;
(3) Records of all prescriptions must be documented in client records.
(4) An APRN with prescriptive authority shall comply with federal DEA requirements for controlled substances.
(5) An APRN with prescriptive authority may not prescribe controlled substances for self or members of the APRN's immediate family.
(6) In an emergency situation, Schedule II drugs may be phoned in to the pharmacist pursuant to 21 CFR 1306.11(d).
(7) An APRN with prescriptive authority may not delegate the prescribing or dispensing of drugs to any other person unless delegating to a pharmacist through a collaborative pharmacy practice agreement as defined in 37-7-101, MCA.
History: 37-1-131, 37-8-202, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-8-202, MCA; NEW, 1991 MAR p. 2435, Eff. 12/13/91; AMD, 1993 MAR p. 1202, Eff. 6/11/93; AMD, 1994 MAR p. 2518, Eff. 9/9/94; AMD, 2002 MAR p. 3399, Eff. 12/13/02; TRANS, from Commerce, & AMD, 2006 MAR p. 2035, Eff. 8/25/06; AMD, 2008 MAR p. 2346, Eff. 11/7/08; AMD, 2013 MAR p. 1609, Eff. 9/6/13; AMD, 2021 MAR p. 991, Eff. 8/7/21.