(1) "Inaccessible public land" means public land wholly surrounded by private land by which there is no other legal access via public road, trail, right of way or easement; public waters; adjacent federal, state, county, or municipal land that is open to public use; or adjacent private land for which that landowner has not granted permission to cross.
(2) "Landowner" means an individual, association, organization, or business entity, that owns land in fee, or a tenant or contract for deed purchaser with written authority to enter a PALA and receive payments.
(3) "PALA" means public access land agreement. A PALA is an agreement between a private landowner and the department pursuant to 87-1-295, MCA, whereby the public is allowed access across private lands to inaccessible public lands or under accessible public lands.
(4) "PL/PW" means private land/public wildlife advisory committee provided for in 87-1-269, MCA.
(5) "Public land" means FWP lands, and state and school trust lands as defined in 77-1-101, MCA, or federal land managed by the U.S. Department of the Interior or the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
(6) "Public land that is leased by the landowner" means "Inaccessible public land" or "under accessible public land" for which a landowner has an agreement with a government agency authorizing the landowner to use the whole or part of the public land for grazing or farming.
(7) "Under accessible public land" means public land for which there is no other legal access point within one mile via public road, trail, right of way or easement; public waters; adjacent federal, state, county, or municipal land that is open to public use. A distance of less than one mile may be eligible if the department determines that it improves public access to lands based on site specific considerations. Access via public waters may also be considered under accessible if there are safety concerns which limit access by boat (due to rapids, boulders, log jams) and/or by foot while remaining within the high water mark (due to swift currents, deep water along banks, slippery substrate).
History: 87-1-295, MCA; IMP, 87-1-295, MCA; NEW, 2020 MAR p. 779, Eff. 5/1/20; AMD, 2023 MAR p. 211, Eff. 3/11/23.