10.53.1208 CONTENT STANDARDS FOR LIBRARY MEDIA AND INFORMATION LITERACY FOR SIXTH THROUGH EIGHTH GRADE
(1) Build new knowledge by inquiring, thinking critically, identifying problems, and developing strategies for solving problems.
(a) Write questions independently based on key ideas or areas of focus;
(b) refine questions based on the type of information needed; and
(c) reflect at the end of an inquiry process.
(2) Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to inclusiveness and respect for diversity in the learning community, including the distinct and unique cultural heritage of American Indians.
(a) Evaluate resources for relevance, currency authority, and bias including those by and about tribes in Montana; and
(b) seek more than one point of view by using diverse sources.
(3) Work effectively with others to broaden perspectives and work toward common goals.
(a) Offer information and opinions and encourage others to share ideas at
appropriate times in group discussions; and
(b) accurately describe or summarize the ideas of others.
(4) Make meaning by collecting, organizing, and sharing resources of personal relevance.
(a) Experiment with various types of technology tools for artistic and personal expression; and
(b) share reading, listening, and viewing experiences in a variety of ways and formats.
(5) Exercise freedom to read and demonstrate the ability to pursue personal interests.
(a) Independently locate and select information for personal, hobby, or vocational interests;
(b) read, listen to, and view a wide range of genres and formats for recreation and information; and
(c) respond to images and feelings evoked by a literary work.
(6) Demonstrate safe, legal, and ethical creating and sharing of knowledge products.
(a) Practice internet safety and appropriate online behavior;
(b) use criteria to determine safe and unsafe internet sites;
(c) participate safely, ethically, and legally in online activities;
(d) connect ideas and information with their owners or source;
(e) credit sources by following copyright, licensing, and fair use guidelines.
History: Mont. Const. Art. X, sec. 9, 20-2-114, MCA; IMP, Mont. Const. Art. X, sec. 9, 20-2-121, 20-3-106, 20-7-101, MCA; NEW, 2020 MAR p. 2140, Eff. 7/1/21.