10.7.106A TRANSPORTATION COSTS ALLOCATED BY OUT-OF-DISTRICT ATTENDANCE AGREEMENTS
(1) If trustees of a student's districts of residence and attendance sign an out-of-district attendance agreement that includes transportation, either district may provide bus transportation or a pupil transportation contract under the conditions of ARM 10.7.105. The student may be the eligible transportee of the district providing transportation. A waiver of tuition does not affect the eligibility of the student for transportation.
(2) On-schedule costs of transporting the eligible transportee may be claimed for transportation aid in accordance with 20-10-141 and 20-10-142, MCA. On-schedule costs may not be charged to any person or entity who is a party to the out-of-district attendance agreement.
(3) Pursuant to 20-5-323, MCA, a school district transporting a student under an out-of-district attendance agreement may charge for over-schedule costs of transportation if stated in the attendance agreement. Over-schedule costs of transporting an out-of-district student, as limited by 20-5-323(5), MCA, may be charged to the entity that could be held responsible for paying tuition under an attendance agreement required by 20-3-320 or 20-5-321, MCA. For discretionary attendance agreements allowed by 20-5-320, MCA, the district of residence may refuse to accept responsibility for the over-schedule costs of transportation at the time the attendance agreement is signed by indicating so on the agreement form.
(4) In accordance with 20-5-323, MCA, the over-schedule costs charged under an attendance agreement for the school year 20XX may not exceed the lesser of:
(a) the transportation fund expenditures reported by the district of residence on the Trustees' Financial Summary for 20XX-2, divided by the total October 1 enrollment for the school year 20XX-2; or
(b) the number of miles added to a bus route or routes to accommodate students attending under attendance agreements, divided by the number of students riding the buses under the attendance agreement(s), times $0.35, times the number of days the route or routes are conducted for the year of attendance.
(5) A party being charged over-schedule costs of transportation on an attendance agreement may request and receive written documentation from the district of residence showing the calculation in (4) before signing the attendance agreement, agreeing to pay over-schedule costs of transportation.
(6) The district or other party being charged for over-schedule costs is responsible for verifying that the charges do not exceed the calculation in (4) before approving the attendance agreement, thereby accepting responsibility for charges.
(7) Transportation charges must be prorated based on the number of days the student was enrolled compared to 180 days.
(8) The district providing transportation must bill the party responsible for paying transportation obligations of an attendance agreement.
(9) In accordance with 20-5-324, MCA and ARM 10.10.301B, the school district trustees may pay costs of transportation listed on an attendance agreement along with tuition due on that contract in the year of the student's attendance or, if the obligation occurs after the district's budget is adopted, in the ensuing year. Parents or guardians may be charged in the year of attendance.
History: 20-10-112, MCA; IMP, 20-5-320, 20-5-321, 20-5-323, 20-5-324, 20-10-141, 20-10-142, MCA; NEW, 1997 MAR p. 203, Eff. 1/28/97; AMD, 2002 MAR p. 1662, Eff. 6/14/02; AMD, 2006 MAR p. 3070, Eff. 12/22/06; AMD, 2008 MAR p. 1692, Eff. 8/15/08; AMD, 2010 MAR p. 1990, Eff. 9/10/10.