17.24.603 ROAD AND RAILROAD LOOP EMBANKMENTS
(1) After soil is salvaged from embankment areas pursuant to ARM 17.24.701 through 17.24.703, all organic material must be removed from the embankment foundation to increase stability.
(2) All material used in embankments must be suitable for the intended use. The material must be free of organic matter, coaly or carbonaceous material, wet or frozen materials, and any other material considered unsuitable by the department for use in embankment construction.
(3) Embankment layers must be compacted as necessary to ensure that the embankment is adequate to support the anticipated volume, weight, and speed of vehicles to be used.
(4) Road and railroad loop embankments must have a minimum static safety factor of 1.3 under any condition of loading likely to occur, or such higher factor as the department determines to be reasonably necessary for safety or protection of property.
(5) Any embankment that impounds water as part of the sediment control plan must be designed and constructed in accordance with ARM 17.24.639.
History: 82-4-204, MCA; IMP, 82-4-231, 82-4-232, MCA; NEW, 1980 MAR p. 725, Eff. 4/1/80; AMD, 1989 MAR p. 30, Eff. 1/13/89; AMD, 1994 MAR p. 2957, Eff. 11/11/94; TRANS, from DSL, 1996 MAR p. 2852; AMD, 1999 MAR p. 811, Eff. 4/23/99; AMD, 2004 MAR p. 2548, Eff. 10/22/04.