17.8.106 SOURCE TESTING PROTOCOL
(1) The requirements of this rule apply to any emission source testing conducted by the department, any source, or any other entity as required by any rule in this chapter, or any permit or order issued pursuant to this chapter, or the provisions of the Clean Air Act of Montana, 75-2-101 , et seq., MCA.
(2) All emission source testing, sampling and data collection, recording, analysis, and transmittal must be performed as specified in the Montana Source Test Protocol and Procedures Manual, unless alternate equivalent requirements are determined by the department and the source to be appropriate, and prior written approval has been obtained from the department. If the use of an alternative test method requires approval by the administrator, that approval must also be obtained.
(3) Unless otherwise specified in the Montana Source Test Protocol and Procedures Manual or elsewhere in this chapter, all emission source testing must be performed as specified in any applicable sampling method contained in: 40 CFR Part 60, Appendix A; 40 CFR Part 60, Appendix B; 40 CFR Part 61, Appendix B; 40 CFR Part 51, Appendix M; 40 CFR Part 51, Appendix P; and 40 CFR Part 63. Such emission source testing must also be performed in compliance with the requirements of the EPA Handbook for Air Pollution Measurement Systems. Alternative equivalent requirements may be used if the department and the source have determined that such alternative equivalent requirements are appropriate, and prior written approval has been obtained from the department. If approval by the administrator of an alternative test method is required, that approval must also be obtained.
(4) Failure to comply with this rule shall constitute a violation of this rule, and may result in the partial or complete rejection by the department of the appropriate emission source testing data. The partial or complete rejection by the department of the appropriate emission source testing data may subsequently result in a determination by the department that a permit application is incomplete, that insufficient data is available to determine compliance with an emission limitation or standard and additional testing is necessary to demonstrate compliance, or that insufficient data is available to determine the correct fee required under subchapter 5 and additional testing is necessary.
(5) Any changes to the Montana Source Test Protocol and Procedures Manual shall follow the appropriate rulemaking procedures.
History: 75-2-111, 75-2-203, MCA; IMP, 75-2-203, MCA; NEW, 1993 MAR p. 2919, Eff. 12/10/93; TRANS, from DHES, 1996 MAR p. 2285; AMD, 1999 MAR p. 2767, Eff. 10/8/99; AMD, 2003 MAR p. 645, Eff. 4/11/03; AMD, 2004 MAR p. 724, Eff. 4/9/04.