(1) All aircraft registrations must be renewed before March 1 of each calendar year. Registration of an aircraft in the owner's name for the year immediately preceding the year for which a registration renewal invoice is sent is prima facie evidence the aircraft has been based in Montana during the year for which registration renewal is sought by the department.
(2) The department sends an annual renewal notice via surface mail to each registered aircraft owner at the address listed in department records three months prior to the March 1 renewal date. Failure of the aircraft owner to advise the department of address changes may result in undeliverable mail and assessment of statutory penalty fees due to delinquent payments.
(3) If payment is not received, the department sends a second renewal notice prior to the March 1 renewal date.
(4) If payment is not received with a postmark or online time stamp prior to or on March 1, the department will assess a statutory penalty fee under 67-3-202, MCA of five times the registration amount added to the original registration fee and send a delinquent payment notice.
(5) Fees and assessed penalties not received within 14 days of issuance of a delinquency notice will be referred for collection action on the full fee plus penalty amount.
(6) Owners of aircraft which are statutorily exempt from registration fees must submit a completed fee exemption affidavit, on the invoice provided by the department, which must be received by the department on or before March 1 of each year. Failure to provide a timely fee exemption affidavit may void the exemption and the department must assess and collect the full registration fee and penalty amount.
History: 67-3-101, MCA; IMP, 67-3-101, 67-3-102, 67-3-103, 67-3-201, 67-3-202, 67-3-203, 67-3-204, 67-3-206, MCA; NEW, 2020 MAR p. 184, Eff. 2/1/20.