18.6.247 OFFICIAL SIGNS
(1) Official signs must be erected pursuant to direction or authorization contained in federal, state, or local law, such that the office must be directed by statute or must have the specific authority by statute to erect and maintain signs and notices. Official signs must comply with sign standards found in 75-15-113, MCA, and ARM 18.6.231, unless otherwise specified in this rule.
(2) Official signs must not exceed 150 square feet.
(3) Official signs must be erected within the territorial jurisdiction or zoning jurisdiction of the public office or agency, such that the office or agency must exercise some form of governmental authority over the area upon which the sign is located.
(4) Official signs must be erected outside the right-of-way and maintained by a public office or agency.
(5) Official signs will not be considered in determining the spacing required between conforming off-premise outdoor advertising signs.
(6) A permit must be obtained for each official sign accompanied by a nonrefundable inspection fee. There is no initial permit fee or renewal fee for official signs.
History: 75-15-121, MCA; IMP, 75-15-111, 75-15-113, MCA; NEW, 2006 MAR p. 1878, Eff. 7/28/06; AMD, 2008 MAR p. 2476, Eff. 11/27/08; AMD, 2012 MAR p. 185, Eff. 1/27/12; AMD, 2014 MAR p. 213, Eff. 1/31/14; AMD, 2016 MAR p. 1440, Eff. 8/20/16.