(1) The franchisee shall repair or replace within a reasonable period of time after notification of damage, any sign panels that are destroyed or damaged.
(2) The franchisee shall wash all signs at any time the reflectorized facing becomes dull.
(3) The franchisee shall conduct an inspection periodically on the breakaway mechanism for any dirt or other obstruction that may interfere with the breakaway mechanism. All bolts shall be loosened and retorqued to proper specification as required.
(4) All sign structures are the property of the state and only the franchisee or state-authorized personnel may enter the right-of-way to erect, maintain, repair, change copy, or access the sign structure in any manner for any reason.
(5) The department, at its cost, shall remove a motorist information sign if the location of the sign is required for highway purposes or activities including construction, reconstruction or maintenance. The department may re-erect any motorist information sign removed for highway purposes, at an approved substitute location, if possible, but has no obligation to relocate a sign or compensate for its removal.
(6) The department must notify the franchisee 30 days prior to any highway maintenance, construction, or reconstruction project being let, or highway purposes of any kind which will require removal of any motorist information signs. After completion of the maintenance or construction operations, and relocation of the signs by the department, where possible, the department will notify the franchisee that the franchisee shall resume responsibility for maintenance of the sign.
(7) The department shall remove a motorist information sign if the department determines the placement or condition of the motorist information sign endangers the health, safety, or welfare of the public, or in the event the motorist information sign has become inconsistent or in violation of statute or administrative rule. The department has no obligation to compensate for a motorist information sign removal.
History: 60-5-503, MCA; IMP, 60-5-505, MCA; NEW, 1990 MAR p. 111, Eff. 1/12/90; AMD, 1997 MAR p. 1034, Eff. 6/24/97; TRANS, from ARM 18.7.332, 2011 MAR p. 2393, Eff. 11/11/11; AMD, 2012 MAR p. 2459, Eff. 12/7/12.