18.8.431 MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE WEIGHT
(1) The maximum allowable gross weight for vehicle combinations hauling divisible loads is 131,060 pounds. Vehicles and vehicle combinations hauling divisible loads must comply with the federal bridge formula found in 61-10-107, MCA, unless otherwise provided for in statute, federal regulations or department rules.
(2) Maximum allowable weights allowed for vehicle combinations hauling divisible loads on highways cannot exceed a gross vehicle weight and single or tandem weights as described in 23 CFR 658, Appendix C, April 1, 2015 edition.
(3) The maximum allowable gross weight for vehicle combinations hauling divisible loads on the federal interstate system and operating under the provisions of 23 CFR 658, Appendix C, April 1, 2015 edition, or operating under 61-10-107(1)(b), MCA, on non-interstate highways is:
(a) maximum single-axle limit: 20,000 pounds
(b) maximum tandem-axle limit: 37,500 pounds
(c) maximum tridem-axle limit:
(i) axles spaced from 94" to less than 118": 46,3000 pounds
(ii) axles spaced from 118" to less than 141": 50,7000 pounds
(iii) axles spaced from 141" to 146": 52,900 pounds
(d) maximum gross weight:
(i) A-Train: 118,000 pounds
(ii) B-Train (eight axle): 137,800 pounds
(iii) B-Train (seven axle): 124,600 pounds
(4) For vehicles being operated under the Montana/ Alberta MOU, operations must have paid gross vehicle weight fees for the total weight being carried.
(5) Permits may be issued for the weights in 23 CFR 658, Appendix C, April 1, 2015 edition, for the same permit types and under the same fee schedule provided in 61-10-125, MCA and ARM Title 18, chapter 8, subchapter 6.
(6) The maximum allowable weight for a mobile home for licensing purposes is the bridge formula in 61-10-107, MCA. A mobile home with any additional weight must obtain an excess axle weight permit as per 61-10-125, MCA.
(7) Copies of the CFR regulations may be obtained at www.gpo.gov.
History: 61-10-155, MCA; IMP, 61-10-107, 61-10-108, 61-10-121, 61-10-125, MCA; NEW, 2001 MAR p. 2142, Eff. 10/26/01; AMD, 2006 MAR p. 206, Eff. 1/27/06; AMD, 2010 MAR p. 1179, Eff. 5/14/10; AMD, 2016 MAR p. 312, Eff. 2/20/16; AMD, 2019 MAR p. 1632, Eff. 9/21/19; AMD, 2022 MAR p. 1072, Eff. 6/25/22.