23.13.209 REQUIREMENTS FOR PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER SUPERVISORY CERTIFICATE
(1) POST will issue supervisory certificates in the following disciplines:
(a) peace officer;
(b) detention/corrections officer;
(c) probation and parole officer;
(d) misdemeanor probation/pretrial services officer; and
(e) public safety communications officer.
(2) In addition to ARM 23.13.204 and 23.13.205, the applicant for an award of the supervisory certificate:
(a) must possess the discipline-specific intermediate certificate;
(b) must have successfully completed a 32-hour POST-approved management course; and
(c) must have served satisfactorily as a first-level supervisor currently and for one year prior to the date of application, as attested to by the head of the employing agency.
(3) A first-level supervisor is a position above the operational level for which commensurate pay is authorized, is occupied by an officer who, in the upward chain of command, principally is responsible for the direct supervision of employees of an agency or is subject to assignment of such responsibilities.
(4) Officers who believe they are eligible for a supervisory certificate must submit a completed application, with agency administrator approval, to the director. Applications are available from POST staff or on the POST web site.
(a) The director will then review the application and approve or deny the certification, unless the director determines, as a matter of discretion, that the council's review is necessary due to extenuating circumstances.
(b) Upon approval by the director the certificate becomes valid unless the council takes further action.
(5) A misdemeanor probation/pretrial services officer who possessed a probation and parole intermediate certificate before March 28, 2020, meets the requirement of (2)(a).
History: 2-15-2029, MCA; IMP, 2-15-2029, 44-4-403, MCA; NEW, 2008 MAR p. 1587, Eff. 8/1/08; AMD, 2014 MAR p. 2951, Eff. 12/12/14; AMD, 2017 MAR p. 1953, Eff. 10/28/17; AMD, 2018 MAR p. 2518, Eff. 12/22/18; AMD, 2020 MAR p. 580, Eff. 3/28/20.