23.16.1714 SPORTS TAB GAME PRIZES
(1) For the purposes of this rule, "cost of the sports tabs" means an amount that is equal to the amount paid by a participant for a single sports tab multiplied by 100.
(2) Winners may be determined by the score at predetermined intervals during the event as long as there is also a winner and prize awarded based upon the score attained at the conclusion of the event. If any prize is to be awarded for a score attained at a predetermined interval during a sports event, the value of any such prize may not exceed the value of the prize to be awarded for the score at the conclusion of the event.
(3) Except as provided in (5), a sponsor shall pay to the winners of a sports tab game at least 90% of the cost of the sports tabs. The sponsor may retain up to 10% of the cost of the sports tabs.
(4) The total value of all prizes awarded in a sports tab game may not exceed $2,500. Prizes may be in cash or merchandise, or a combination of cash and merchandise. If merchandise is awarded, the purchase price paid for the merchandise is considered to be the value of the prize. Except as provided in (5), if the value of the merchandise is less than 90% of the cost of the sports tabs the difference must be awarded to the winners in cash.
(5) A sponsor who conducts a sports tab game to support a nonprofit organization may donate up to 50% of the net proceeds of the sports tabs if the nonprofit organization meets the requirements of 23-5-503, MCA.
(6) All prizes must be available for distribution to winners immediately at the conclusion of the sports event, or at the conclusion of all sports events in a series sports tab game.
History: 23-5-115, MCA; IMP, 23-5-501, 23-5-502, 23-5-503, MCA; TEMP, NEW, 1991 MAR p. 1942, Eff. 10/18/91; AMD, 2012 MAR p. 402, Eff. 2/24/12; AMD, 2013 MAR p. 1606, Eff. 10/1/13; AMD, 2015 MAR p. 1197, Eff. 8/14/15; AMD, 2019 MAR p. 1860, Eff. 10/19/19.