Unless the context requires otherwise, the following definitions apply to this subchapter:
(1) "Blood" means whole blood which contains the cellular components and the serum or plasma of blood.
(2) "Buccal swab" means a swab taken from the mouth area to collect cheek cells.
(3) "CODIS" means the FBI's national DNA identification index system that allows the storage and exchange of DNA records submitted by state and local forensic DNA laboratories. The term "CODIS" is derived from combined DNA index system.
(4) "Collection card" means the DNA database collection card prepared by the division and furnished with the DNA sample collection kit.
(5) "Department" means the Montana department of justice.
(6) "Division" means the forensic science division of the Montana department of justice.
(7) "DNA databank" means the repository of DNA samples collected under the provisions of 44-6-101 through 44-6-110 , MCA, and this subchapter.
(8) "DNA identification index" means the computerized identification record system adopted by the department for the storage and retrieval of an individual's DNA record.
(9) "DNA record" means DNA identification information stored in the department's DNA database or CODIS.
(10) "DNA sample" means a blood or tissue sample.
(11) "DNA sample collection kit" means a packet of materials issued by the division for use in collecting, storing and transporting DNA samples.
(12) "EDTA" means the preservative ethylenedia-minetetraacetic acid.
(13) "Marker" means a genetic trait found in DNA including, but not limited to, the STR loci CSF1PO, THO1, TPOX, vWA, D16S539, D7S820, D13S317, D5S818, FGA, D3S1358, D8S1179, D18S51, D21S11 and Amelogenin.
(14) "STR" means short tandem repeat.
History: Sec. 44-6-110, MCA; IMP, Sec. 44-6-101, MCA; NEW, 1996 MAR p. 2172, Eff. 8/9/96; AMD, 2002 MAR p. 1983, Eff. 7/26/02.