24.165.520 NONSTEROIDAL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY AGENTS PROTOCOLS
(1) Clinicians may use nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents as directed by a licensed medical practitioner with prescriptive authority.
(2) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents act by blocking the formation of prostaglandins.
(3) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents are indicated for acute inflammation including but not limited to tendonitis, arthritis, and bursitis.
(4) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents are contraindicated when there is a local infection or abrasion at the site of application. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents are also contraindicated when there is sensitivity to topical anti-inflammatory agents.
(5) The specific nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents permitted by this rule are:
(a) ketaprofen 20 percent (10 percent is available without prescription);
(b) piroxicam 1 percent or 2 percent;
(c) ibuprofen, up to 20 percent; and
(d) diclofenac 2.5 percent.
History: 37-24-201, 37-24-202, MCA; IMP, 37-24-108, 37-24-109, MCA; NEW, 2005 MAR p. 447, Eff. 4/1/05; AMD, 2019 MAR p. 1743, Eff. 10/5/19.