24.168.2104 APPROVED CONTINUING EDUCATION
(1) Continuing education consists of educational activities designed to:
(a) review existing concepts and techniques;
(b) convey information beyond the basic professional education; and
(c) update knowledge on the practice of and advances in optometry.
(2) CE approved by the board must directly relate to the scope of practice of optometry as defined in board statutes and rules.
(3) The primary objective of CE is the protection of the health, safety, and welfare of the public, and deals primarily with the scope of practice, professional conduct, or ethical obligations of the license held. Licensees are responsible for selecting quality programs that contribute to their knowledge and competence and meet these objectives.
(a) Courses in which the principal purpose is to promote, sell, or offer goods, products, or services to optometrists, or to promote the personal interests of the licensees do not meet CE requirements.
(4) Approved CE includes courses:
(a) affiliated with national, regional, or state optometric associations, academies, or colleges of optometry;
(b) approved by the ARBO's Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (COPE); or
(c) accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME).
(5) CE courses offered and completed on the Internet or via other similar electronic means must comply with all the requirements in this rule.
(6) The board will grant up to four hours of credit for practice management courses and up to twelve hours of credit for CE correspondence courses or Internet courses every CE cycle.
History: 37-1-131, 37-1-319, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-1-306, 37-1-319, MCA; Eff. 12/31/72; AMD, Eff. 8/4/74; AMD, 1979 MAR p. 738, Eff. 7/13/79; TRANS, from Dept. of Prof. & Occup. Lic., Ch. 274, L. 1981, Eff. 7/1/81; AMD, 1994 MAR p. 152, Eff. 1/28/94; AMD, 1997 MAR p. 305, Eff. 2/11/97; AMD, 1998 MAR p. 925, Eff. 4/17/98; AMD, 1999 MAR p. 2760, Eff. 12/3/99; TRANS, from Commerce, 2003 MAR p. 2083; AMD, 2007 MAR p. 296, Eff. 3/9/07; AMD, 2020 MAR p. 901, Eff. 5/16/20.