24.29.841 COURSE SUBMISSIONS
(1) The following standards, by which acceptability of submitted courses are evaluated, must all be certified by the sponsoring organization:
(a) the practical and academic experience of each faculty member is sufficient to teach the subject assigned;
(b) the course enhances the ability of a claims examiner to provide claims handling services to the public effectively;
(c) the subject matter relates to professional ethics, where practicable.
(2) Submissions for approval of courses must include at least the following information:
(a) the name of the sponsoring organization;
(b) the title of the course;
(c) the proposed date(s) of offering or the dates the course was held;
(d) course goals and objectives;
(e) major course topic(s);
(f) course length;
(g) a list of other states, if any, that have approved the course and the credits granted the course in those states;
(h) a syllabus or course outline;
(i) a summary of each course outline element;
(j) method of instruction, such as classroom, self-study, videotape, audiotape, teleconference, etc.;
(k) method of administering examinations, if any;
(l) method of attendance verification;
(m) method of student record maintenance;
(n) instructors, if any;
(o) a designated contact person;
(p) a written explanation of examination security measures and examination administration methods; and
(q) written notification of additional dates of course offering to the department three days in advance of presentation of any course.
(3) Requests for advance approval of courses must be received by the department no less than 30 days prior to the anticipated starting date of the course.
(4) Requests for approval of courses already held must be received prior to December 31 of the calendar year in which the activity was presented.
(5) Approved accredited university or college courses will be allowed 15 continuing education credits for each semester credit and ten continuing education credits for each quarter credit.
(6) Charges for courses must be clearly disclosed to students before enrollment:
(a) if a course is canceled for any reason, all charges are refundable in full, unless the refund policy is clearly defined in the enrollment application;
(b) in instances requiring refunds under (6)(a), the charges must be refunded within 45 days of cancellation;
(c) in the event that a continuing education provider postpones a course for any reason, the provider must give the students a choice of attending a course at a later date or having their charges refunded in full. The provider must refund the charges within 45 days of the postponement unless the student notifies the provider that the student has chosen to attend a later course;
(d) a sponsoring organization may have a refund policy addressing a student's cancellation or failure to complete a course, as long as that policy is made clear to potential students.
(7) A sponsoring organization must provide proof of course completion to each course participant who successfully completes the approved course of study within one month of course completion or prior to the end of the calendar year during which the participant completed the course. The department may grant the sponsoring organizations up to two months to provide such proof of course completion, if the sponsoring organization notifies the course participants in writing, in advance of the course.
(8) Sponsoring organizations who add qualified course instructors after a course is approved must submit the names of those instructors to the department at least three days prior to the course offering.
(9) Course approval is for a period of two years following the course approval date.
(10) Sponsoring organizations must resubmit courses for new review and certification whenever significant changes in course content are made.
(11) The minimum number of credits that the department may award is one credit.
(12) No course may be advertised as having been approved for credit by the department until the sponsoring organization receives written approval from the department.
History: 39-71-203, 39-71-320, MCA; IMP, 39-71-105, 39-71-320, MCA; NEW, 2009 MAR p. 2019, Eff. 10/30/09.