24.301.173 INCORPORATION BY REFERENCE OF INTERNATIONAL FUEL GAS CODE
(1) The department adopts and incorporates by reference the International Fuel Gas Code, 2018 edition, published by the International Code Council, IFGC, unless another edition is specifically stated, together with the following amendments:
(a) Subsection 102.8, Referenced Codes and Standards, is modified by adding the following: "Any reference to a separate specialty building regulation, by title, either in this subsection or elsewhere in this code, shall be considered deleted and replaced with the title of the model code adopted by the department and in effect at the time. For example, all references to the International Plumbing Code shall be deleted and replaced with the Uniform Plumbing Code."
(b) The permit fees for the fuel gas code are calculated the same way as provided in ARM 24.301.172, and substituting the fuel gas system for the mechanical system. The inspection fees for the fuel gas code are the same as provided in ARM 24.301.172.
(c) Section 108 of the International Fuel Gas Code will be left as is for use by certified cities, counties, and towns. The department will use 50-60-109 and 50-60-110, MCA, in cases requiring prosecution, in lieu of Section 108. When a person fails to submit required plans, obtain a permit, correct plans, or comply with an order of the department, the department will, as authorized by 50-60-109, MCA, seek injunctive relief.
(d) Section 109 of the IFGC will be left as is for use by certified cities, counties, or towns, who by 50-60-303, MCA, must provide an appeal procedure. Cities, counties, and towns may use the board of appeals created in accordance with Section 113 of the International Building Code to serve as the board of appeals. The department and state of Montana, however, will use the applicable provisions of the Montana Administrative Procedure Act in all cases of appeal, in lieu of Section 109.
(e) Subsection 307.6, Condensate pumps, is modified by adding the following exception at the end: "Exception: A water sensor with audio alarm may be substituted for an appliance/equipment disconnect to allow for continued operation of the appliance/equipment."
(f) Subsection 403.4.2, Steel, is amended to state as follows: "403.4.2 Steel. Steel, stainless steel, and wrought-iron pipe shall be not lighter than Schedule 40 and shall comply with the dimensional standards of ASME B36.10M and one of the following standards:"
(2) The Building and Commercial Measurements Bureau shall not enforce the IFGC on those buildings exempted from state building codes by 50-60-102, MCA. Cities, counties, and towns that have made the state building regulations applicable to buildings exempt from state enforcement, except for mines and buildings on mine property regulated under Title 82, chapter 4, MCA, may enforce within their jurisdictional areas the International Fuel Gas Code as adopted by those units of government.
(3) As specified in 76-2-412, MCA, fuel gas codes which are not applicable to residential occupancies may not be applied to a community residential facility serving eight or fewer persons or to a day care home serving 12 or fewer children.
(4) The purpose of this code is to provide minimum standards to safeguard life or limb, health, property, and public welfare by regulating and controlling the design, construction, installation, quality of materials, location, operation, and maintenance of heating, ventilating, cooling, refrigeration systems, incinerators, and other miscellaneous heat-producing appliances.
(5) No mechanical permit shall be issued for a building or structure, under the jurisdiction of the department, until the building permit has first been issued for that building or structure.
(6) The IFGC adopted by reference in (1) is a nationally recognized model code setting forth minimum standards and requirements for certain mechanical installations. A copy of the IFGC may be obtained from the International Code Council at www.ICCSafe.org.
History: 50-60-203, MCA; IMP, 50-60-102, 50-60-103, 50-60-109, 50-60-201, 50-60-203, 50-60-303, MCA; NEW, 2004 MAR p. 571, Eff. 3/12/04; AMD, 2007 MAR p. 112, Eff. 1/26/07; AMD, 2010 MAR p. 1733, Eff. 7/30/10; AMD, 2014 MAR p. 2776, Eff. 11/7/14; AMD, 2019 MAR p. 2242, Eff. 12/7/19.