32.4.802 QUARANTINE FACILITY
(1) Each licensed alternative livestock farm must have a department-approved quarantine facility within its perimeter fence or submit a quarantine action plan to the department that guarantees the licensee unlimited access to an approved quarantine facility on another licensed alternative livestock farm within the state of Montana.
(2) Approval for expansion of an alternative livestock farm shall not be granted by the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks until the licensee receives department approval of the quarantine facility and handling facilities.
(3) A licensee applying for an expansion of an alternative livestock farm shall submit the following to the department and the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks at the time the application is submitted to the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks:
(a) design plans for the applicant's alternative livestock farm catch pen and handling facilities required under ARM 32.4.801;
(b) detailed design specifications for a quarantine facility on the property owned or leased by the applicant and identified on the alternative livestock farm license application; or
(c) a quarantine plan for the quarantine of animals at an approved quarantine facility located on another licensed alternative livestock farm (host). This plan must include:
(i) recognition that animals must meet all inspection, transportation and testing requirements prior to movement;
(ii) a signed statement from the alternative livestock farm licensee (host) who is allowing the applicant unrestricted use of his quarantine facility. This statement must define the period of time for which the applicant/licensee has permission to use the quarantine facility; and
(iii) if the alternative livestock farm licensee (host) revokes the privilege to use his quarantine facility, or if the privilege is consensual for a defined period of time which has expired, the applicant/licensee has 30 days to design his own facilities and submit the plans to the department for approval. The applicant/licensee must construct the facility within 90 days of department approval of the plans.
(4) Design specifications for a quarantine facility shall include all measured dimensions of the proposed facility (heights and perimeters) and shall include the location and materials for fences, location of any shelters, feeding or water sources, location of the quarantine facility within the licensed alternative livestock farm property, streams, slopes of property, gates, and access to holding facilities. The specifications for a quarantine facility must meet the following:
(a) a requirement for fencing to extend upward 8 feet from the ground level and meet one of the following criteria:
(i) a solid wall; and
(ii) a required separation distance of greater than 14 feet between the animals placed under quarantine and all other animals, including public wildlife. This can be accomplished by:
(A) construction of double fences, greater than 14 feet apart; or
(B) creation of a quarantine pen utilizing vacated surrounding pens to create the separation distance required in (4)(a)(ii). No pen surrounding the quarantine pen may be utilized for any purpose during the quarantine period.
(b) provisions for confined animals that include the humane holding and care of the quarantined animals for an extended period of time and include provisions for the following:
(i) feeding facilities isolated from contact by any other animals;
(ii) water available at all times and isolated from contact by any other animals; and
(iii) shelter provided for the animals.
(c) the quarantine pen must meet the following:
(i) it must be located on relatively flat ground in order to prevent egress or ingress of animals. If built on a slope, the department may require additional measures be taken to prevent ingress or egress;
(ii) fecal wastes and water must not drain from the quarantine pen to any other pens or area of the alternative livestock farm, or into an area outside the alternative livestock farm where wildlife, animals, livestock, or people could come into contact with such wastes. The department may require additional measures be implemented to prevent run off from the quarantine pen into state waters; and
(iii) The quarantine pen may not include any surface water body of state waters within its boundary.
(d) The facility shall include a means to move the animals from the quarantine facility to the handling facility.
(5) The state veterinarian may require additional modifications to the quarantine facility as determined necessary.
(6) The department may waive requirements on a site specific basis if it is determined the conditions of quarantine are not compromised by granting the waiver.
History: 81-2-102, 81-2-103, 87-4-422, MCA; IMP, 81-2-102, 81-2-103, 87-4-422, MCA; NEW, 1999 MAR p. 136, Eff. 1/15/99; AMD, 2010 MAR p. 2974, Eff. 12/24/10; AMD, 2019 MAR p. 2380, Eff. 12/28/19.