32.8.105 PASTEURIZATION PLANT CODE NUMBERS
(1) Montana department of livestock regulations require all bottles, cans, packages and other containers enclosing milk or any milk products defined in chapters 8 and 9 to be plainly labeled or marked with the identity of the plant at which the contents were pasteurized.
(2) The identity of the plant is maintained by plainly labeling the container with the name of the milk plant, the name of the city or town and the state in which the plant is located.
(3) Chapters 8 and 9 further provide that the identity of the plant where the milk or milk products were pasteurized may be shown by a code device approved by the board of livestock on the label of the container.
(4) The national conference on interstate milk shipments and its membership have adopted the federal information processing standards (FIPS) numeral code for states to identify plants processing fluid milk fresh milk products and frozen desserts for respective states. The numeral code to identify milk plants in Montana is 30. The national conference on interstate milk shipments recommends that the FIPS numeral code for states be followed by a hyphen and an official code number identifying the milk plants in the state.
(5) The department has assigned official plant code numbers to each licensed pasteurization plant in the state. Copies of the plant code assignments may be obtained by writing the milk and egg bureau, department of livestock, P.O. Box 202001, Helena, MT 59620-2001.
(6) All bottles, cans, packages and other containers enclosing milk or any milk product defined in chapters 8 and 9 shall be plainly labeled with the name of the milk plant in which the milk or milk product was pasteurized, the name of the city or town and state in which the milk plant is located and/or the code number assigned by the department.
History: Sec. 81-2-102 MCA; IMP, Sec. 81-2-102 MCA; Eff. 12/31/72; AMD, 1977 MAR p. 962, Eff. 11/26/77; AMD, 1980 MAR p. 1539, Eff. 5/30/80.