purposes of these rules, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) "Application" means an application for beneficial water use permit, form no. 600, or application for
provisional permit for completed stockwater pit or reservoir, form no. 605.
(2) "Consumptive use" means a use of water which removes water from the source of supply, such that the quality
or quantity is reduced or the timing of return delayed, making it unusable or
unavailable for use by others.
(3) "Department" means the department of natural RESOURCES AND CONSERVATION.
(4) "Infiltration gallery" means a collection system consisting of one or more perforated pipes, culverts, or
screens, placed horizontally beneath the streambed or vertically adjacent to
the streambed, by which surface water is appropriated.
(5) "Nonconsumptive use" means a beneficial use of water which does not cause a reduction in the source of
supply, and where substantially all of the diverted water returns to the source
of supply with little or no delay and without adverse effect to the quality of
(6) "Supplemental irrigation"
means additional water provided to lands which are already irrigated or to
lands which will receive water through another water right.
(7) "Surface water" means all water at the surface of the ground
including any river, stream, creek, ravine, coulee, undeveloped spring, or
lake, regardless of its character or manner of occurrence, including but not
limited to, diffused surface water, sewage effluent, waste water, and return
flows and any subsurface water which is a part of the surface flows.
History: Sec. 85-2-112, 319, MCA; IMP, Sec. 85-2-319, MCA; NEW, 1990 MAR p. 228, Eff. 1/26/90; AMD, 1990 MAR p. 1896, Eff. 10/12/90; AMD, 1992 MAR p. 1396, Eff. 6/26/92.