36.21.669A TYPES OF WELLS REQUIRING ABANDONMENT
(1) Wells requiring permanent abandonment
include, but are not limited to those:
(a) whose use has been permanently
(b) in such disrepair that its continued
use for obtaining groundwater is impractical or may be a health hazard, or
(c) whose existence allows intermixing of
waters which cause deleterius effects upon temperatures, qualities, or pressures,
(d) a well in the process of being drilled
which is rendered unusable because of driller error and for which drilling must
(2) The well owner is responsible for abandonment of wells described in (1) (a) , (b) , and (c) .
(3) The well driller is responsible for abandonment of wells described in (1) (d) . These
types of wells shall be permanently abandoned by the driller within 60 days
after drilling is discontinued.
(4) The driller should advise
well owner of this requirement that abandoned wells must be permanently
(5) The board may order the driller to permanently abandon an unusable well that may be
a danger to the aquifer.
History: 37-43-202(3), MCA; IMP, 37-43-202(3), MCA; NEW, 1991 MAR p. 913, Eff. 6/14/91; AMD, 1997 MAR p. 65, Eff. 1/17/97.