(1) A forensic mental health facility (FMHF) must develop security policies and procedures. At a minimum the policies and procedures must address the following:
(a) securing the facility;
(b) summoning outside assistance in the event of an emergency;
(c) addressing relevant types of natural or client-caused emergency situations; and
(d) contraband searches.
(2) An FMHF must have security vestibules or secured car ports or Sally Ports at all facility entrances.
(3) An FMHF security system must be capable of containing clients within secured units when necessary according to FMHF policy.
(4) An FMHF security system must be designed to prevent contraband smuggling and must include provisions for monitoring and controlling visitor access and egress.
(5) All openings into and out of and within the FMHF, e.g., windows, doors, and gates, must be equipped with manual, electric, or magnetic locks.
(6) An FMHF must provide visual control, i.e., electronic surveillance, of all FMHF corridors, dining areas, classrooms, and social areas.
(7) Except for use in seclusion or observation rooms, electronic surveillance is not permitted in client bedrooms, bathing units, or toilets.
(8) Electronic surveillance of a secured unit does not substitute for direct supervision where required by facility policy.
(9) Special design considerations for injury or suicide prevention must be given to all facility details, finishes, and equipment.
(10) An FMHF must provide an enclosed secured car port for the receiving, discharge, transfer, or the transportation of clients. The car port must be separated using Underwriters Laboratory or Factory Mutual rated construction providing a minimum of two-hour fire resistance.
(11) Staff may confine clients to their rooms for all scheduled medication passes, for all staff shift changes, and during any facility emergency. Medication administration and shift changes will last no longer than 30 minutes, and must be limited to no more than three 30-minute periods in a 24-hour period.
History: 50-5-103, MCA; IMP, 50-5-103, 50-5-201, 50-5-204, MCA; NEW, 2016 MAR p. 144, Eff. 1/23/16.