37.106.2846 MEDICATIONS: STORAGE AND DISPOSAL
(1) With the exception of resident medication organizers as discussed in ARM 37.106.2848, all medication must be stored in the container dispensed by the pharmacy or in the container in which it was purchased in the case of over-the-counter medication, with the label intact and clearly legible.
(2) Medications that require refrigeration must be segregated from food items and stored within the temperature range specified by the manufacturer.
(3) All medications administered by the facility shall be stored in locked containers in a secured environment such as a medication room or medication cart. Residents who are responsible for their own medication administration must be provided with a secure storage place within their room for their medications. If the resident is in a private room, locking the door when the resident leaves will suffice.
(4) Over-the-counter medications or home remedies requested by the resident shall be reviewed by the resident's practitioner or pharmacist as part of the development of a resident's service plan. Residents may keep over-the-counter medications in their room with a written order by the residents' practitioners.
(5) The facility shall develop and implement a policy for lawful disposal of unused, outdated, discontinued or recalled resident medications. The facility shall return a resident's medication to the resident or resident's legal representative upon discharge.
History: Sec. 50-5-103, 50-5-226 and 50-5-227, MCA; IMP, Sec. 50-5-225, 50-5-226 and 50-5-227, MCA; NEW, 2002 MAR p. 3638, Eff. 12/27/02; AMD, 2004 MAR p. 1146, Eff. 5/7/04.