37.114.1001 TUBERCULOSIS DIAGNOSIS
(1) A case of active tuberculosis disease exists if the case meets the laboratory or clinical criteria in (2) or (3).
(2) Laboratory criteria for active tuberculosis diagnosis:
(a) isolation of M. tuberculosis complex from a clinical specimen;
(b) demonstration of M. tuberculosis complex from a clinical specimen by nucleic acid amplification test; or
(c) demonstration of acid-fast bacilli in a clinical specimen when a culture has not been or cannot be obtained or is falsely negative or contaminated.
(3) Clinical criteria for active tuberculosis diagnosis:
(a) usually a positive tuberculin skin test result or positive interferon gamma release assay for M. tuberculosis;
(b) other signs and symptoms compatible with tuberculosis are for example: abnormal chest radiograph, abnormal chest computerized tomography scan or other chest imaging study, or clinical evidence of current disease;
(c) treatment with two or more antituberculosis medications; and
(d) a completed diagnostic evaluation.
(4) A case of latent tuberculosis infection exists if the case meets the laboratory and clinical criteria in (5) and (6).
(5) Laboratory criteria for latent tuberculosis infection:
(a) a positive tuberculin skin test (TST); or
(b) a positive interferon gamma release assay (IGRA).
(6) Clinical criteria for latent tuberculosis infection:
(a) no clinical evidence compatible with TB disease including no signs or symptoms consistent with TB disease; and
(b) chest imaging without abnormalities consistent with TB disease (chest radiograph or CT scan); or
(c) abnormal chest imaging that could be consistent with TB disease with microbiologic testing that is negative for abnormal chest imaging that could be consistent with TB disease with microbiologic testing that is negative for Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Complex and where TB disease has been clinically ruled out.
History: 50-1-202, 50-17-103, 50-17-105, MCA; IMP, 50-1-202, 50-17-103, 50-17-105, MCA; NEW, 1980 MAR p. 1579, Eff. 6/13/80; AMD, 1987 MAR p. 2147, Eff. 11/28/87; TRANS, from DHES, 2002 MAR p. 913; AMD, 2017 MAR p. 343, Eff. 3/25/17; AMD, 2019 MAR p. 1745, Eff. 1/1/20.