37.81.301 BIG SKY RX SCOPE AND PURPOSE
(1) On January 1, 2006, Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDPs) became available to people with Medicare. This is a voluntary federal program created by the Medicare Prescription Drug Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003 (MMA) 42 USC 1302, 1395w-101 through 1395w-152, and 1395hh. It is referred to as "Medicare Part D" in these rules and implemented in 42 CFR part 423.
(2) An individual entitled to benefits under Medicare Part A or enrolled in Medicare Part B is eligible to enroll in a Medicare Part D PDP. An individual enrolled in a PDP is responsible for the premium and receives prescription drug coverage. There is also a federal premium subsidy called "Social Security Extra Help" for some individuals that assists in paying copayments, deductibles, and premiums.
(3) The purpose of Montana's Big Sky Rx Program is to pay a portion or all of the cost of the PDP premium for eligible Montana residents.
(4) The individual enrolled in Part D must choose and enroll in a federally approved PDP.
(5) The program does not provide assistance with selecting or enrolling in a PDP.
History: 53-2-201, 53-6-1004, MCA; IMP, 53-2-201, 53-6-1001, 53-6-1004, 53-6-1005, MCA; NEW, 2006 MAR p. 336, Eff. 2/10/06; AMD, 2008 MAR p. 954, Eff. 5/9/08.