38.4.410 SIDE CLEARANCE AT PLATFORMS
(1) Platforms eight (8) inches or less above top rail require at least four (4) feet eight (8) inches clearance.
(2) Platforms four (4) feet or less above top rail require at least five (5) feet nine (9) inches or seven (7) feet three (3) inches clearance. Whether the five (5) feet nine (9) inches or seven (7) feet three (3) inches clearance shall be used in any particular case shall be at the discretion of this Commission. Such determination will be made upon
written application by the railroad setting forth the details of each particular installation.
(3) Platforms four (4) feet six (6) inches or less above top of rail--when used principally for loading or unloading refrigerator cars require at least eight (8) feet clearance.
(4) Icing platforms and supports require at least five (5) feet nine (9) inches clearance.
(5) Platforms other than as set out above require at least eight (8) feet six (6) inches clearance.
(6) Retractable platforms, either sliding or hinged, which are attached to a permanent structure shall be so designed that when not in use no part of such retractable platform shall fall within the clearance limits herein prescribed for a platform of that height above the top of the rail.
(7) Platforms defined under (1) above may be combined with either (2) or (3) provided that the lower platform present a level surface from a point not more than four (4) feet eight (8) inches from centerline of track to the face of the wall of the platform with which it is combined. No other combinations will be permitted.
(8) Platforms which were constructed prior to October 27, 1978, may be extended at existing clearances.
History: Sec. 69-14-116, MCA; IMP, Sec. 69-14-116, MCA; NEW, 1978 MAR p. 1485, Eff. 10/27/78.