42.5.201 ELECTRONIC PAYMENT
(1) The department's ability to accept electronic payments is evolving. Taxpayers should check the department's web site at www.revenue.mt.gov to determine which types of electronic payments the department will accept and the electronic submission options available.
(2) A taxpayer with a tax liability of $500,000 or greater must make payment to the department by electronic funds transfer. If a check, draft, or similar paper instrument is received in the amount of $500,000 or greater, it shall constitute nonpayment and be returned to the taxpayer. Applicable late payment penalties and interest shall be applied until such time as the payment is remitted by electronic funds transfer, as required by 15-1-802, MCA.
(3) If the department does not receive the funds submitted via an electronic funds transfer by the payment submission due date, the department shall assess any applicable penalties and interest as required by 15-1-216, MCA.
(4) The following information must be included with any electronic payment:
(a) name and tax identification number of the taxpayer;
(b) type of tax or taxes being paid;
(c) amount of each type of tax being paid; and
(d) any additional information necessary to process the type of electronic payment being made and to identify the taxpayer and account to which the payment is to be applied.
(5) In cases of an emergency, a taxpayer that would be required to transmit funds electronically may apply for an exception as provided in ARM 42.5.213.
History: 15-1-803, MCA; IMP, 15-1-216, 15-1-231, 15-1-801, 15-1-802, 15-1-803, 15-30-2510, 30-18-117, 32-6-103, MCA; NEW, 1985 MAR p. 1154, Eff. 8/16/85; AMD, 2003 MAR p. 2897, Eff. 12/25/03; AMD, 2010 MAR p. 1995, Eff. 9/10/10; AMD, 2013 MAR p. 222, Eff. 2/15/13.