BEFORE THE BOARD OF MEDICAL EXAMINERS
DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY
STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the adoption of NEW RULE I military training or experience
NOTICE OF ADOPTION
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. On March 27, 2014, the Board of Medical Examiners (board) published MAR Notice No. 24-156-80 regarding the public hearing on the proposed adoption of the above-stated rule, at page 559 of the 2014 Montana Administrative Register, Issue No. 6.
2. On April 18, 2014, a public hearing was held on the proposed adoption of the above-stated rule in Helena. One comment was received by the April 25, 2014, comment deadline.
3. The board has thoroughly considered the comment received. A summary of the comment and the board's response are as follows:
COMMENT 1: One commenter provided information that certain military personnel (reservists and national guardsmen who have never been activated) in fact do not receive a DD 214 form upon their discharge from the military. Because the rule may be interpreted to absolutely require a DD 214 from all applicants who wish to submit evidence of relevant military training, service, or education as part of the licensure process, the commenter suggested the board amend this new rule to allow consideration of other evidence of military discharge in addition to or in lieu of a DD 214 form.
RESPONSE 1: The board agrees with the suggestions and is amending the new rule accordingly.
4. The board has adopted NEW RULE I (ARM 24.156.415) with the following changes, stricken matter interlined, new matter underlined:
NEW RULE I MILITARY TRAINING OR EXPERIENCE (1) through (2) remain as proposed.
(3) An applicant must submit satisfactory evidence of receiving military training or education that is equivalent to relevant licensure requirements under this chapter.
At a minimum, satisfactory Satisfactory evidence shall include includes:
(a) a copy of the applicant's military discharge document (DD 214 or other discharge documentation);
(b) through (4) remain as proposed.
BOARD OF MEDICAL EXAMINERS
KRISTIN SPANJIAN, MD, PRESIDENT
/s/ DARCEE L. MOE /s/ PAM BUCY
Darcee L. Moe Pam Bucy, Commissioner
Rule Reviewer DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY
Certified to the Secretary of State June 2, 2014