BEFORE THE BOARD OF NURSING
DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY
STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the adoption of NEW RULE I military training or experience
NOTICE OF ADOPTION
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. On April 10, 2014, the Board of Nursing (board) published MAR Notice No. 24-159-78 regarding the public hearing on the proposed adoption of the above-stated rule, at page 649 of the 2014 Montana Administrative Register, Issue No. 7.
2. On May 1, 2014, a public hearing was held on the proposed adoption of the above-stated rule in Helena. Several comments were received by the May 9, 2014, deadline.
3. The board has thoroughly considered the comments received. A summary of the comments received and the board's responses are as follows:
COMMENT 1: One commenter generally supported the proposed new rule for military experience.
RESPONSE 1: The board appreciates all comments received in the rulemaking process.
COMMENT 2: One commenter stated that certain military personnel (reservists and national guardsmen who have never been activated) do not receive a DD 214 form upon their discharge from the military. The commenter suggested the board amend New Rule I to allow the board to consider other evidence of military discharge in addition to or in lieu of a DD 214 form.
RESPONSE 2: The board has adopted New Rule I with the suggested amendment, so that the board may consider other evidence of military discharge in addition to or in lieu of a DD 214 form when determining whether certain military training, service, or education is applicable to licensure requirements.
4. The board has adopted NEW RULE I (24.159.404) with the following changes, stricken matter interlined, new matter underlined:
NEW RULE I MILITARY TRAINING OR EXPERIENCE (1) and (2) remain as proposed.
(3) An applicant must submit satisfactory evidence of receiving military training, service, or education that is equivalent to relevant licensure requirements of a registered nurse (RN), licensed practical nurse (LPN), advanced practice registered nurse (APRN), and medication aide (MA) I and II.
At a minimum, satisfactory Satisfactory evidence shall include includes:
(a) a copy of the applicant's military discharge document (DD 214 or other discharge documentation);
(b) through (4) remain as proposed.
BOARD OF NURSING
HEATHER O'HARA, RN, PRESIDENT
/s/ DARCEE L. MOE /s/ PAM BUCY
Darcee L. Moe Pam Bucy, Commissioner
Rule Reviewer DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY
Certified to the Secretary of State August 25, 2014