BEFORE THE SECRETARY OF STATE
OF THE STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the amendment of ARM 44.5.120 pertaining to trademark fees
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING ON PROPOSED AMENDMENT
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. On November 6, 2015, at 10:00 a.m., the Secretary of State will hold a public hearing in Room 260, State Capitol Building, Helena, Montana, to consider the proposed amendment of the above-stated rule.
2. The Secretary of State will make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who wish to participate in this rulemaking process or need an alternative accessible format of this notice. If you require an accommodation, contact the Secretary of State no later than 5:00 p.m. on October 22, 2015, to advise us of the nature of the accommodation that you need. Please contact Jorge Quintana, Secretary of State's Office, P.O. Box 202801, Helena, MT 59620-2801; telephone (406) 431-7718; fax (406) 444-4249; TDD/Montana Relay Service (406) 444-9068; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The rule as proposed to be amended provides as follows, new matter underlined, deleted matter interlined:
44.5.120 TRADEMARK FEES
(1) Registration of mark $ 20.00, plus $20.00 per each additional class
(2) through (7) remain the same.
AUTH: 2-15-405, MCA
IMP: 2-15-405, 30-13-311, 30-13-313, 30-13-315, 30-13-320, MCA
REASON: This rule amendment is reasonably necessary because 30-13-311, MCA, allows the Secretary of State to charge a fee for each class of goods or services that are included in a trademark application. Section 2-15-405, MCA, requires all fees charged by the Secretary of State to be set by administrative rule. The additional fee is commensurate with the overall costs of the office and reasonably reflects the prevailing rates charged in the public and private sectors for similar services. Fees collected by the Secretary of State are deposited into an enterprise account fund. The fund is financed and operated similar to a private business where it is the Legislature's intent to finance or recover all costs primarily through user charges.
4. Concerned persons may submit their data, views, or arguments either orally or in writing at the hearing. Written data, views, or arguments may also be submitted to Jorge Quintana, Secretary of State's Office, P.O. Box 202801, Helena, Montana 59620-2801, or by e-mailing email@example.com, and must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., November 13, 2015.
5. Jorge Quintana, Secretary of State's Office, P.O. Box 202801, Helena, Montana 59620-2801, has been designated to preside over and conduct the hearing.
6. The Secretary of State maintains a list of interested persons who wish to receive notices of rulemaking actions proposed by this agency. Persons who wish to have their name added to the list shall make a written request which includes the name and mailing address of the person to receive notices and specifies that the person wishes to receive notices regarding administrative rules, corporations, elections, notaries, records, uniform commercial code, or combination thereof. Such written request may be mailed or delivered to the Secretary of State's Office, Administrative Rules Services, 1236 Sixth Avenue, P.O. Box 202801, Helena, MT 59620-2801, faxed to the office at (406) 444-4263, or may be made by completing a request form at any rules hearing held by the Secretary of State's Office.
7. An electronic copy of this proposal notice is available through the Secretary of State's web site at http://sos.mt.gov/ARM/Register. The Secretary of State strives to make the electronic copy of the notice conform to the official version of the notice, as printed in the Montana Administrative Register, but advises all concerned persons that in the event of a discrepancy between the official printed text of the notice and the electronic version of the notice, only the official printed text will be considered. In addition, although the Secretary of State works to keep its web site accessible at all times, concerned persons should be aware that the web site may be unavailable during some periods, due to system maintenance or technical problems.
8. The bill sponsor contact requirements of 2-4-302, MCA, do not apply.
9. The cumulative amount for all persons of the proposed fee is approximately $4,200 annually based on an average of 2010 through 2014 charges for trademark initial registrations. The number of persons affected is approximately 70.
10. With regard to the requirements of 2-4-111, MCA, the Secretary of State has determined that the amendment of the above-referenced rule will not significantly and directly impact small businesses.
/s/ JORGE QUINTANA /s/ LINDA MCCULLOCH
Jorge Quintana Linda McCulloch
Rule Reviewer Secretary of State
Dated this 5th day of October, 2015.