BEFORE THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
OF THE STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the amendment of ARM 42.21.165 pertaining to livestock reporting per capita fee payment and refund process
NOTICE OF PROPOSED AMENDMENT
NO PUBLIC HEARING CONTEMPLATED
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. The Department of Revenue proposes to amend the above-stated rule.
2. The Department of Revenue will make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who wish to participate in this public hearing or need an alternative accessible format of this notice. If you require an accommodation, please advise the department of the nature of the accommodation needed, no later than 5 p.m. on September 20, 2019. Please contact Todd Olson, Department of Revenue, Director's Office, P.O. Box 7701, Helena, Montana 59604-7701; telephone (406) 444-7905; fax (406) 444-3696; or email@example.com.
3. The rule as proposed to be amended provides as follows, new matter underlined, deleted matter interlined:
42.21.165 LIVESTOCK REPORTING AND PER CAPITA FEE PAYMENT AND REFUND PROCESS (1) through (4) remain the same.
(5) Per capita livestock fee payments are due to the department by May 31 of the reporting year. Livestock owners may be entitled to a per capita fee refund from the Montana Department of Livestock (DOL), under the provisions of 15-24-922, MCA, for livestock located out of the state during the reported tax year.
Montana Department of Livestock (DOL ) has access to the department's livestock reporting and billing/payment data for compliance purposes. If the DOL determines that a livestock owner has not been reporting their livestock counts to the department as required, the DOL may provide the department with estimated livestock type and counts and the department will use this information to bill the livestock owner for the per capita livestock fees.
AUTH: 15-1-201, MCA
15-6-207, 15-24-903, 15-24-905, 15-24-921, 15-24-922, 15-24-925, 87-4-406, MCA
REASONABLE NECESSITY: The department proposes to amend the catchphrase of ARM 42.21.165 and (5) to reflect that the Department of Livestock (DOL) has a per capita livestock fee refund process, provided in 15-24-922, MCA, for livestock owners who move livestock between states during a reported tax year. The proposed text in (5) will provide a cross-reference to the statute. The department's amendment to (6) reflects the relocation of the full DOL agency reference to (5), which is necessary for clarity and brevity.
The department further proposes striking 15-6-207, MCA, which is an outdated implementing statute that has not applied to this rule since 2003.
4. Concerned persons may submit their data, views, or arguments, either orally or in writing, at the hearing. Written data, views, or arguments may also be submitted to: Todd Olson, Department of Revenue, Director's Office, P.O. Box 7701, Helena, Montana 59604-7701; telephone (406) 444-7905; fax (406) 444-3696; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., October 18, 2019.
5. If persons who are directly affected by the proposed action wish to express their data, views, or arguments orally or in writing at a public hearing, they must make written request for a hearing and submit this request along with any written comments to the person in number 4 above no later than 5:00 p.m., October 18, 2019.
6. If the agency receives requests for a public hearing on the proposed action from either 10 percent or 25, whichever is less, of the persons directly affected by the proposed action; from the appropriate administrative rule review committee of the Legislature; from a governmental subdivision or agency; or from an association having not less than 25 members who will be directly affected, a hearing will be held at a later date. Notice of the hearing will be published in the Montana Administrative Register. Ten percent of those directly affected has been determined to be one person based on the total number of persons who filed the required livestock report with the department for tax years 2017 and 2018.
7. The department maintains a list of interested persons who wish to receive notices of rulemaking actions proposed by this agency. Persons who wish to have their name added to the list shall make a written request that includes the name, e-mail, and mailing address of the person to receive notices and specifies for which program the person wishes to receive notices. Notices will be sent by e-mail unless a different mailing preference is noted in the request. Such written request may be mailed or delivered to the contact person in 4 above or may be made by completing a request form at any rules hearing held by the department.
8. An electronic copy of this notice is available through the Secretary of State's web site at sosmt.gov/arm/register/.
9. The bill sponsor contact requirements of 2-4-302, MCA, do not apply.
10. With regard to the requirements of 2-4-111, MCA, the department has determined that the amendment of the above-referenced rule will not significantly and directly impact small businesses.
/s/ Todd Olson /s/ Gene Walborn
Todd Olson Gene Walborn
Rule Reviewer Director of Revenue
Certified to the Secretary of State September 10, 2019.