These definitions apply to all rules adopted under authority of Title 80, chapter 11, part 6, MCA.
(1) "Department" means the Montana Department of Agriculture.
(2) "Director" means the director of the Montana Department of Agriculture or a designee.
(3) "Handling operation" means any operation or portion of an operation (except final retailers of agricultural products that do not process agricultural products) that receives or otherwise acquires agricultural products and processes, packages, or stores such products.
(4) "Mediation" means a voluntary, informal process to assist the department and another party to arrive at a mutually acceptable settlement. No formal record is made.
(5) "Mixed operation" means organic and nonorganic production on the same production operation.
(6) "Packaging" means changing the size, shape, type, or method of a product's containment without any change in the product itself.
(7) "Production operation" means a farm, ranch, or other business that grows, gathers, or raises crops, wild crops or livestock.