(1) Upon the death of an active or inactive member, the member's designated beneficiary or statutory beneficiary must submit a certified copy of the member's death certificate and a completed death claim form to MPERA. A statutory beneficiary must also submit adequate documentation confirming their status as a surviving spouse or dependent child. Documentation can include, but it is not limited to, birth and marriage certificates.
(2) Upon the death of a retired member receiving an option 1 benefit, the member's designated beneficiary, or personal representative if no designated beneficiary, must submit a certified copy of the member's death certificate. Completed death claim forms may be required if there are multiple designated beneficiaries or a lump sum payment remains.
(3) Upon the death of a retired member receiving an option 2, 3, or 4 benefit, a contingent annuitant must submit a certified copy of the member's death certificate to MPERA. Once the death certificate is filed with MPERA, the missed payments, if any, will be paid.
(4) If all designated or statutory beneficiaries predecease the member, the member's personal representative or next of kin as defined in 19-2-802, MCA, must submit the required documents.
(5) If all designated or statutory beneficiaries renounce their interest in their payment rights, a contingent beneficiary or other identified payment recipient may submit the required documents.
(6) Upon receipt of the required documents, MPERA will advise the beneficiary or contingent annuitant of the benefits available.
(7) Contact MPERA to obtain a death claim form.