(1) A seller shall maintain records necessary to document gross receipts for the rental vehicle sales and use tax. A seller may be required to substantiate gross receipts reported for a particular quarter. For audit purposes, a seller may be required to reconstruct the reported gross receipts from the original rental vehicle sales and use tax receipts.
(2) The records described in (1) must include specific documentation of exempt charges.
(3) A seller must notify a purchaser of the rental vehicle sales and use tax at the time of purchase.
(4) The tax shall be separately stated on the receipt, invoice, or other document provided to a purchaser to ensure there is a record of the amount of tax charged.
(5) The records described in (1) must be maintained by a seller for a period of five years and shall be subject to audit by the department.