(1) Each acupuncture licensee of the Board of Medical Examiners shall earn 30 clock hours of accredited continuing acupuncture education during each two-year licensing period. Clock hours or contact hours shall be the actual number of hours during which instruction was given.
(2) A maximum of eight clock hours may be given for the first-time preparation of a new course, in-service training workshop, or seminar which is related to the enhancement of acupuncture practice, values, skills, and knowledge; or a maximum of eight clock hours credit may be given for the preparation by the author or authors of a professional acupuncture paper published for the first time in a recognized professional journal; or given for the first time at a statewide or national professional meeting.
(3) If a licensee completes more than 30 hours of continuing education in a two-year licensing period, excess hours in an amount not to exceed 15 hours may be carried forward to the next two-year licensing period.
(4) Any licensee may apply for a hardship exemption from the continuing acupuncture education requirements of these rules by filing a statement with the board setting forth good faith reasons why he or she is unable to comply with these rules and an exemption may be granted by the board.
(5) Continuing education is not required for licensees renewing their license for the first time.