(1) Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
(2) Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
(3) Apply knowledge of language to understand how language functions in different contexts, to make effective choices for meaning or style, and to comprehend more fully when reading or listening.
(4) Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases by using context clues, analyzing meaningful word parts, and consulting general and specialized reference materials, as appropriate.
(5) Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships and nuances in word meanings.
(6) Acquire and use accurately a range of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases sufficient for reading, writing, speaking, and listening at the college and career readiness level; demonstrate independence in gathering vocabulary knowledge when encountering an unknown term important to comprehension or expression.