(1) A licensee to conduct a horse race meeting may feature a twin trifecta wager.
(2) The twin trifecta is a form of parimutuel wagering. It is not a parlay and has no connection with, or relation to, any other parimutuel pools made and conducted by an association. The twin trifecta also is not connected with, or related to, any win, place, and show pools shown on the totalizator board, nor is it governed by any commission rule pertaining to the distribution of any other parimutuel pools.
(3) In the twin trifecta, the wagerer selects the three horses that will finish first, second, and third in the exact order as officially posted in each of the two designated twin trifecta races.
(4) Twin trifecta tickets may be sold and exchanged only from the association's ticket issuing machines.
(5) Twin trifecta tickets may be sold only in multiples of one dollar.
(6) Each wagerer purchasing twin trifecta tickets shall designate three selections as the first three horses to finish in that order in the first race of the two designated as twin trifecta races.
(7) After the wagering closes for the first half of the twin trifecta, the commission will be deducted from the pool in accordance with the rules of the Montana Board of Horse Racing. The remaining pool will then be divided into two separate pools of equal amounts.
(8) The money in the first part of the divided pool will be distributed to the holders of twin trifecta tickets selecting the first three horses, in order, on the first designated twin trifecta race, in accordance with the established parimutuel practice. The term "first part of divided pool" shall mean one half of the net distributable pool of the total money wagered in the twin trifecta on the current program only. Specifically excluded therefrom shall be any carryover of any special cumulative second race twin trifecta pool from any previous program.
(9) The second part of the divided pool, less any consolation payoff, will be placed in a separate pool to be distributed to holders of "second half" twin trifecta tickets selecting the first three horses, in order, on the second designated twin trifecta race, in accordance with the established parimutuel practice.
(10) If, in the first half of the twin trifecta only there is a failure to select, in the exact order, the first three horses, payoffs and exchanges shall be made on twin trifecta tickets selected in the following order of priority:
(a) first, second, fourth;
(b) first, third, fourth;
(c) second, third, fourth;
(d) first, second, fifth;
(e) first, third, fifth;
(f) first, fourth, fifth; and
(g) sequentially thereafter.
(11) After the official declaration of the first three horses to finish in the first race of the twin trifecta, each wagerer holding a winning ticket must, prior to the running of the second twin trifecta race, exchange the winning ticket for both the monetary value established by the mutuel department and a twin trifecta "exchange" ticket and, at such time, shall select the three horses to finish in the second race of the twin trifecta in exact order as officially posted. No additional money shall be required of the holders of the winning ticket in order to make the exchange. Each association conducting the twin trifecta shall designate all windows to be used as "exchange" windows except when the first half payoff is $600 or more in winnings (if such winnings are at least 300 times the amount of the single wager). If such is the case, valid exchange tickets will be exchanged only at windows designated IRS windows.
(12) No twin trifecta exchange ticket for the second race of the twin trifecta shall be issued except upon surrender of the winning twin trifecta from the first race of the twin trifecta as described in these rules. Windows for the purpose of cashing and exchanging twin trifecta tickets shall be open only after the first race of the twin trifecta has been declared official and such window shall close when wagering closes for the race designated as the second half of the twin trifecta. Not more than one race shall elapse between the race designated the first half of the twin trifecta and the race designated as the second half of the twin trifecta.
(13) If a winning twin trifecta ticket from the first race is not presented for cashing and exchange within the time provided, the wagerer may still collect the monetary value attached to the ticket, but shall forfeit all rights to any distribution of the second race twin trifecta pool.
(14) Coupled entries and/or mutuel fields are prohibited in twin trifecta races.
(15) If a horse is scratched for the first race of the twin trifecta, all twin trifecta tickets on the scratched horse will be refunded. If a horse is scratched for the second race of the twin trifecta, public address announcements will be made and a reasonable attempt will be made for exchange of tickets on the scratched horse.
(16) In the event of a dead heat or dead heats in either the first or second half of the twin trifecta, all twin trifecta tickets selecting the correct order of finish counting a horse in a dead heat as finishing in any position dead heated shall be winning tickets. In the case of the dead heat occurring in the first half, the payoff shall be calculated as a win pool. In the case of the dead heat occurring in the second half, contrary to the usual parimutuel practice, the aggregate number of winning tickets shall be divided into the net pool and be paid the same payoff price.
(17) If a horse is scratched in the second race of the twin trifecta, all exchange tickets combining the scratched horse with either scratchers or any of the first three finishers of the second twin trifecta race in exact order in each position shall become consolation tickets and shall be paid a price per dollar calculated as follows: The money from the second part of the divided pool shall be divided by the total purchase price of all tickets combining the winners of the first race of the twin trifecta. The quotient thus obtained shall be the price paid to holders of second race twin trifecta consolation tickets. The entire consolation pool (number of eligible tickets times the consolation price) shall be deducted for the second part of the divided pool.
(18) In the event there is no twin trifecta ticket issued accurately selecting the officially declared first three finishers of the second twin trifecta race in the exact order, such second race pool, as divided earlier, shall be held for the next consecutive program and shall be combined with that program's second race twin trifecta pool. The sum shall be termed the "carryover jackpot". Distribution of the special cumulative second race twin trifecta pool shall be made only upon the accurate selection, in exact order, of the first three officially declared finishers of the second twin trifecta race, except on the closing program of the meeting. See (20).
(19) If for any reason, the second half of the twin trifecta is not declared "official", the winning ticket holders who have cashed their tickets on the first half and have received an exchange ticket and winning first half twin trifecta tickets which were not exchanged, will be entitled to the remaining amount of the current program's divided pool. In the event, all consolation tickets will be considered winners and there will be no consolation payoff.
(20) On the closing program of the meeting, the current carryover jackpot, if any, plus the second half pool for that program will be combined and distributed in the following manner:
(a) If there is no winning ticket(s) (i.e. selecting the correct order of finish of the first three horses), the sum of the combined pools shall be divided equally and distributed to holders of valid exchange tickets and winning first half twin trifecta tickets which were not exchanged. In this event, all consolation tickets will be considered winners and there will be no consolation payoff.
(21) Sales of twin trifecta tickets other than from the association's ticket issuing machines or from one individual to another shall be deemed illegal and shall be prohibited. Exchange tickets shall be nontransferable. Holders of transferred exchange tickets shall not be entitled to any winnings. Persons involved in the unauthorized transfer of exchange tickets shall be subject to ejection from the parimutuel facility.