(1) "Active traffic control device" means a traffic control device activated by the approach or presence of a train, such as flashing light signals, automatic gates and similar devices, as well as manually operated devices and crossing watchmen, all of which inform motorists of the approach or presence of a train.
(2) "Circuitry" means electronic equipment which activates a signal.
(3) "Damage maintenance cost" means the cost of any crossing signal or activation equipment partially or wholly destroyed where replacement value cannot be obtained from persons responsible for such destruction.
(4) "Diagnostic review" means an on-site evaluation of a public highway railroad at-grade crossing to determine safety needs of a specific crossing.
(5) "Diagnostic review team" means a team consisting of an MDT representative, a railroad representative and a road authority representative and other experts as helpful or needed to evaluate a public highway railroad at-grade crossing to determine safety needs.
(6) "Free standing project" means a crossing surface installation on a state route independent of a highway construction project.
(7) "Improved crossing surface" means prefabricated material for placement at a public at-grade crossing to make the crossing surface smoother from end of tie to end of tie.
(8) "Montana department of transportation (MDT) " means the agency set forth in 2-15-2501 , MCA.
(9) "Overlay project" means an MDT construction project where the pavement is widened two feet or less on each shoulder.
(10) "Priority index" means a value established using a number of factors to evaluate a public highway railroad at-grade crossing for active traffic control devices.
(11) "Public highway railroad at-grade crossing" means a public roadway as defined in 60-1-103 , MCA, which crosses railroad tracks at the same elevation.
(12) "Railroad" means a railroad as defined in 69-14-101 and 61-1-317 , MCA, and used appropriately as per section.
(13) "Road authority" means the public entity having maintenance responsibility for a specified public roadway.
(14) "Traffic control device" means an official traffic control device as defined in 61-1-403 , MCA.