The following definitions shall apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Calendar quarter" means a period of three consecutive months ending March 31, June 30, September 30, or December 31.
(2) "Commercial use" means vehicles registered to a business, company, co-op, or corporation which are used in these businesses or a vehicle used in commerce.
(3) "Daylight hours" means one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset as defined by the United States Naval Observatory for the area being travelled in Montana.
(4) "Department" means the Montana Department of Transportation.
(5) "Financial stationery permits" means a hand-written special permit issued on preprinted, four-part, consecutively numbered forms approved by the department.
(6) "Holiday weekend" means a period of consecutive calendar days adjacent to a holiday, during which travel is prohibited. Holiday weekend time periods include:
(a) a holiday which falls on a Friday or Saturday, prohibiting travel on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday;
(b) a holiday which falls on a Sunday or Monday, prohibiting travel on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday;
(c) a holiday which falls on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, prohibiting travel on that day only; or
(d) the Thanksgiving holiday, prohibiting travel on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
(7) "Holidays" means New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
(8) "Mobile or manufactured home" is defined in 61-1-101, MCA, and has the additional meaning in this chapter as any building hauled on a frame or with multiple single tire axles or multiple permanently mounted single tire axles. A load transported on a flatbed trailer is not considered a mobile or manufactured home.
(9) "Multiple trips" means travelling by a weighing location more than once on either a daily, weekly, or monthly basis as approved by the department.
(10) "Overhang" means the part of a load which extends beyond the rear of a vehicle. Rear overhang is measured from the end of the vehicle or underride protection device. Overhang is also defined for a load of raw logs under 61-10-104, MCA.
(11) "Permittee" means the person or entity to which a special permit has been issued.
(12) "Personal use" means a vehicle registered to a private individual for noncommercial use.
(13) "Quarter" means a period of any three consecutive months.
(14) "Regular route" means the scheduled transportation of passengers between designated points, over designated routes, and under time schedules that provide a regularity of service.
(15) "Route analysis" means a route-specific study conducted by the department in connection with an application for an overweight permit of an overweight vehicle configuration to determine the conditions of approval for an application to move overweight vehicles or loads upon a specific route.
(16) "School bus" has the definition set forth in 20-10-101, MCA.
(17) "Special permit" means a written or electronic document which may be issued for width, height, length, or weight in excess of the statutory limits, or a combination of these. A special permit shall be issued for a nonreducible load only, except when otherwise expressly set forth in this chapter. The duration of a special permit may be either a single trip or a term permit.
(18) "Super-load" means an oversize load exceeding dimensions of 18 feet wide, 150 feet long, and 17 feet high, and/or with weights requiring Department Bridge Bureau approval.
(19) "Vehicle weight analysis" or "weight analysis" means a study conducted by the department for an overweight vehicle configuration to determine the conditions of travel for the movement of overweight vehicles or loads.