24.201.2106 BASIC CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENT
(1) Active licensees are required to have 120 hours of continuing professional education (CPE) with a subset of two hours in ethics for the previous three-year period ending December 31 of each year, except as otherwise provided under ARM 24.201.2154.
(2) Active licensees will be required to affirm their understanding of the basic requirement upon annual renewal. This affirmation will be for the three calendar years immediately preceding the renewal year.
(3) Beginning January 1, 2018, active licensees must complete a minimum of 50 percent (60 hours) of the total CPE hours required in technical fields of study as identified in ARM 24.201.2120. Subjects other than technical and nontechnical fields of study may be acceptable if the licensee can demonstrate to the board's satisfaction that such subjects or specific programs contribute to the maintenance of the licensee's professional competence.
(4) New licensees must meet the basic requirement of CPE by December 31 of the third year following the year of the initial issuance of the Montana license. CPE completed during the initial licensing year does not accrue toward the first reporting period (example: If an individual received their initial license in 2020, they must meet the basic CPE requirement between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2023).
(5) Any individual who qualifies for the practice privilege in this state must meet the CPE requirements applicable in the jurisdiction of his or her principal state.
(6) A nonresident Montana licensee shall be determined to meet Montana CPE requirements by meeting the CPE requirements in the state where their principal place of business is located. If the nonresident licensee's principal place of business state has no CPE requirements for renewal, the nonresident licensee must comply with all CPE requirements for renewal of a license in Montana.
History: 37-1-319, 37-50-203, MCA; IMP, 37-1-306, 37-50-203, MCA; NEW, 1980 MAR p. 2971, Eff. 11/29/80; TRANS, from Dept. of Prof. & Occup. Lic., Ch. 274, L. 1981, Eff. 7/1/81; AMD, 1984 MAR p. 961, Eff. 6/29/84; AMD, 1990 MAR p. 584, Eff. 3/30/90; AMD, 1997 MAR p. 540, Eff. 3/25/97; AMD, 1999 MAR p. 212, Eff. 1/29/99; AMD, 2000 MAR p. 461, Eff. 2/11/00; AMD, 2003 MAR p. 12, Eff. 1/17/03; TRANS, from Commerce, 2005 MAR p. 2668; AMD, 2006 MAR p. 83, Eff. 12/23/05; AMD, 2010 MAR p. 2574, Eff. 10/29/10; AMD, 2012 MAR p. 1363, Eff. 7/13/12; AMD, 2014 MAR p. 2849, Eff. 11/21/14; AMD, 2016 MAR p. 1016, Eff. 6/4/16; AMD, 2017 MAR p. 2283, Eff. 12/9/17; AMD, 2020 MAR p. 792, Eff. 5/1/20.