(1) Licensed clinical social workers must obtain 20 hours of continuing education (CE) annually.
(2) Applicants licensed before July 1 of the renewal year will be required to fulfill the 20-hour requirement. Those licensed after July 1 are required to obtain one-half of the 20-hour requirement, and those licensed after October 1 will not be required to obtain continuing education credits for renewal.
(3) A maximum of ten hours may be given for the first-time preparation of a new course, in-service training workshop, or seminar which is related to the enhancement of social work practice, values, skills and knowledge; or a maximum of ten hours credit may be given for the preparation by the author or authors of a professional social work paper published for the first time in a recognized professional journal or given for the first time at a statewide or national professional meeting.
(4) If a licensee completed more than 20 hours of CE, excess hours in an amount not to exceed 20 hours may be carried forward to the next year.
(5) Licensees are responsible for selecting quality programs that focus on protecting the health, safety, and welfare of the public and contribute to licensees' professional knowledge and competence. Acceptable CE activities:
(a) directly relate to the scope of practice of social work as defined in board statutes and rules;
(b) review existing concepts and techniques;
(c) convey information beyond the basic professional education;
(d) update knowledge on the practice and advances in social work; and/or
(e) reinforce professional conduct or ethical obligations of the licensee.
(6) The board may randomly audit up to 50 percent of renewed licensees.
(7) Licensees must maintain documentation of completed CE for three years and provide documentation to the board upon request. Documentation must include the following information:
(a) licensee name;
(b) course title and description of content;
(c) presenter or sponsor;
(d) course date(s); and
(e) number of CE hours earned.
(8) Licensees found to be in noncompliance with CE requirements may be subject to administrative suspension. Licensees may not apply CE hours used to complete delinquent CE requirements for the next education reporting period.
(9) Any CE hours required by disciplinary order do not apply toward the 20 hours that are required annually under this rule.
(10) A licensee may request an exemption from CE requirements due to hardship. Requests will be considered by the board.