(1) Upon renewal of licensure, each respiratory care practitioner must affirm on the renewal form in each even numbered year beginning in 2008 that the licensee will have completed 24 continuing education units in the preceding 24 months. One continuing education unit is equivalent to 50 minutes in length.
(2) It is the sole responsibility of each licensee to meet the continuing education requirement, and to provide documentation of this compliance if so requested during a random audit. The random audit will be conducted on a biennial basis.
(3) A licensee who fails to obtain a sufficient number of continuing education units may satisfy the requirement by taking and passing the National Board of Respiratory Care entry level exam or the registered respiratory advanced practitioner examination during the preceding 24 months.
(4) The continuing education requirements will not apply until the licensee's first full year of licensure.
(5) Courses acceptable for continuing education shall be those whose content is relevant to the scope of practice of respiratory care as defined in 37-28-102 , MCA.
(6) Any identical course or program presented under Category I or Category II may be submitted for continuing education credit only once every two years.
(7) If documentation of the continuing education requirement is improper or inadequate, the respiratory care practitioner shall correct the deficiency. If the requirement is not completed within 90 days, the license shall be expired and the renewal fee forfeited. Misrepresentation of compliance shall constitute grounds for disciplinary action.