(1) The property owner of record or the property owner's agent must make application through the local department office, in order to receive the benefit provided for in 15-6-134, MCA. An application must be made on a form available from the local county appraisal/assessment office in the year for which the benefit is sought.
(a) For the 2010 and subsequent tax years, applications postmarked after April 15 will not be considered for that tax year unless the department determines the applicant was unable to apply for the current year due to hospitalization, physical illness, infirmity, or mental illness.
(2) These impediments must be demonstrated to have existed at significant levels from January 1 of the current year to the time of application. Telephone extensions and written extensions will be granted through July 1 of the current year for the above-listed reasons. Willful misrepresentation of facts pertaining to income or the impediments that prevent timely application filing will result in the automatic rejection of the application.
(3) The department will review the application and any supporting documents. The department may review income tax records to determine accuracy of information. The department will approve or deny the application. The applicant will be advised in writing of the decision. An annual statement of eligibility is required unless a review of income tax records or other records related to the applicant's income demonstrates that the individual had no significant change in income level and successfully qualified during the preceding 12 months prior to January 1 of the current tax year. In that situation, the department may waive the annual statement of eligibility required.
(4) Any reduction in taxable value will apply to the first $100,000 or less of the taxable market value of any mobile home or improvement on real property and appurtenant land not exceeding five acres.
(5) Income must be reported by the applicant as follows:
(a) For the 2010 and subsequent tax years, the applicant is required to list total household income, which is income attributable to all owner occupant(s) who are applying for the Property Tax Assistance Program.
(6) If the applicant is required to file an income tax return, a copy of the income tax return must be attached. If the applicant is not required to file an income tax return, they must complete the appropriate portion of the application and submit the appropriate documentation, as requested.